Saturday 5 October 2013

Chinese National “Golden Week” Holiday - a great time to stay at home!

                 “Why so many blog posts?” I hear you ask. “Aren’t you supposed to be doing some research there?”. Lol, I wish I was, and I’m bugging the other students as much as I can for them to show me where everything is and how to use their machines, etc. So far, all I’ve managed to do is order some primers, and I’m waiting for some antibiotics and SYBR green to arrive which won’t come until next week.
                That’s because the first week of October is a national holiday for the Chinese, goes under the guise of celebrating the founding of the People’s Republic of China in 1949, but in reality, the week’s paid holiday was introduced in 1999 to help boost domestic tourism and the economy. There has been some calls for the holiday to be cut back because of too much disruption to the regular services, but it can’t be said that it’s not working to boost tourism. If anyone is doubting whether this week long holiday has boosted tourism, they need to see my pictures.


There are lots of decorations up, mainly of the Chinese flag, and also pop up face-in-hole boards in the street.
Me and Lu, posing as Maoist "comrades"
           People are turning out in their droves, which means that although Shanghai is a pretty busy and crowded city already, the main tourist spots are now at bursting point.
Before I came, when I heard that this would be a week of holiday, I thought that this would be a great time for Sam to come and visit. But now, I'm so glad I heeded the advice of Dexi, the first exchange guy who is on his year-long stay in Leicester at the moment, who told me that under no circumstances should I go and visit any tourist sites then, and that it would be better for Sam to come later. He also told me that sometimes during that week, he just stays in his dorm, relaxing. I couldn't understand how this could possibly be, in a city that seems so exciting and with so much to offer. I told myself that I wouldn't be doing this under any circumstances. But having been on the Bund at dusk yesterday, I am now inclined to agree!
Lady at the bottom right hand corner of this shot trying to get a sneak picture of me
            The sheer number of people clamouring over each other to get a shot of the Bund was stifling, and this was also the moment a charming middle aged lady who can be seen in the bottom right corner of the picture decided to shove a camera in my face to take a photo as if I wouldn't notice, despite being squashed right up against her, and everyone else there.
Because, yes, the holiday has brought all the country people from the areas outside of Shanghai into the city, with their fascination for western people. The past few trips into the city this week is when the infamous “locals ask to have photos taken with westerners” had started. On campus, nobody really bats an eyelid at the presence of a westerner in their midst. Sure, we are quite rare in the canteen, and maybe the odd person stares a little bit longer than usual, but it’s not obtrusive or irritating. I think that most Shanghai people are pretty much used to Westerners, especially at the university, where I’d say 50 % of the students at the international dorms are of Caucasian descent, and the rest are Korean.
However, when we get to major tourist spots, there must be country people who haven’t ever seen a westerner in their life, because that is where I start getting requests to pose for photos with people. The first one happened in the Yu gardens while we were waiting for the boys to get the tasty Bell cakes, and I must admit, I thought it was hysterically funny that some stranger would want a photo with me, and the girls from my lab were also in fits of giggles. It wasn’t hard to smile those first few times, since I was laughing already. I thought I was getting a taste for what it feels like to be a celebrity! Another expat blogger in China, Sara, writes a very funny blog post about this called "Move to China and Become a Celebrity". This is pretty much how I'd describe it! Although I don't hear the words  外国人 wàiguórén  and 老外 lǎowài so often. Or maybe I just don't hear it when people speak so quickly.
I find it really cute when little kids are curious about me, and some of them try to practice what few English phrases they may know. I found these two little cuties (or maybe they found me?) in the Yu gardens, as they were singing “Hello, hello, hello” behind me, and then I realised they were talking to me.
Cute Chinese kids wanted to pose with me :)
        Their parents told them to say “Nice to meet you” and when I said “Nice to meet you too!” back, everyone fell into fits of giggles. So when their parents suggested a photo, of course I obliged and got one for myself too. Who could refuse such little sweeties, with their inquisitive faces so full of anticipation and curiosity!
One of the things I’m really glad about is that in Chinese culture, there isn’t a cold fear of others that pervades so much in British culture that means you can’t so much as look at another person’s child without some frosty stares that suggest they’re suspecting you of being the next Mark Bridger. Whilst those cases are tragic and horrifying, I’m sure that they are isolated incidences; whereas it sometimes feels like that the British culture acts as though they are commonplace, and that people need to be on their guard. It might just be that the British like to have their personal space and keep the distance more. There is much less of a big deal on personal space in China, and if that is precious to you, then China won't be for you. People in China people seem very at ease with their children, and allow them to explore, and they seem happy for them to interact with me and others. In fact, Chinese people seem to be quite touchy-feely, since some people who posed with me grabbed my arm as they stood next to me, or put their arm round me, like the girls in this photo. It’s nice to see that people are really friendly and open.
                There was also a funny couple at the ferry from the Pudong side that made me laugh, as it was clear that the girl wanted a photo, but she was too shy to ask, so her boyfriend went ahead and asked me while she slapped him, embarrassed. I thought this was hilarious, so of course, I had to pose with them. I don’t mind if people ask politely, but unfortunately it sometimes happen that if people see me posing with others, they want to do it too, and they begin to get into a queue, as if I was a tourist attraction myself, along with the Oriental Pearl and the Bund. This kind of lessens the magic a little, and I start to feel a bit like a commodity rather than a person.
                It was especially bad when I had a nap on a grassy verge in the park and barely had I raised my head to wake up, when some guy was already asking me for a photo, shortly followed by more people queuing. I think some people must have started to sense that it was getting annoying, so they satisfied themselves with taking photos of me by myself from afar, which I found equally, if not more creepy. I was starting to understand how celebrities can get annoyed with the paparazzi.
                But this lady on the Bund was really taking the biscuit as we were all squashed up against each other in a crowd, and without saying a word, not even in Chinese, she tried to surreptitiously take a photo of me when she saw me behind her. When she wasn’t satisfied with the photo, she tried again, not so surreptitiously. I was like “hello lady, I’m right here” (there must have been less than 10 cm between us, so thick was the crowd) and felt like flipping the bird into her photo. However, my politeness prevailed, and I just about managed a sarcastic smile and wave for her photo. I also started to think about the reverse, and the kind of reaction Asian people would have if they received the equivalent treatment in Europe. It would be considered unthinkably racist for British people to stop a Chinese person on the street to pose with them, yet here it seems perfectly normal!
Dear Chinese people, it’s okay to have a photo with me, but please have the courtesy to ask me politely first!
                However, by this time I’d had enough of the crowd and had got my obligatory photo of the Bund, and just decided to head home. It took about 10 – 15 minutes to make the 500 m journey back to Nanjing Road East metro station through the crowd.
The Bund at dusk
         Coming back to the spacious, quiet campus was a welcome relief, and I went to my dorm room and had a well-earned rest, without anybody bothering me, blending into the background again. It was much more comfortable to be at home. Maybe Dexi was right after all.

No comments:

Post a Comment