Sunday 29 September 2013

Setting up for life in China........passport please

The first few days after my arrival went by in a bit of a blur. Of course there was some adjustment to the time, and I was tired from the long journey, but there was much to be done to get me settled at the university, and since I arrived first thing in the morning, there was a full day’s work ahead.
                In order to help me get settled, I had one of the boys from the lab, YZ, was assigned to help me get set up in China and settle in. He will be the second guy from the Shanghai side to take part in our exchange, and is due to come to the UK in January. He is a bright, young boy of 24, and I think he was assigned to help me, not only because I will inevitably return the favour when he comes to Leicester, but also because he has by far the best English out of anyone I have met here (that includes the professor). And thank goodness, he has been such a great help.
                During my first day YZ took me round such an array of places, I lost count! Basically, we got my student card, which is the general currency on campus, paying for everything from food to showers, went to go top it up, went to the accounts office, went to the Bank of China to set up a bank account so that I can receive my scholarship from the government, got a new Chinese SIM card for my phone, went to get basic food shopping, and generally help get me settled in. What most of these steps basically involved was going to an office, having a photo taken or needing to procure a passport photo, showing them my passport and some vital piece of paper, or going to another place and photocopying a vital piece of paper.
Generally, I was surprised at the level of bureaucracy, coming from a place where I could easily pop into any Phones4U, and come out with a new pay as you go sim card in about five minutes. Here I had to show my passport, and residence details, and so much more problems which was all said in Chinese between Yingzhou and the staff, that it seemed like an age. And they gave me loads more bits of official paper. I also couldn’t even order water for my water cooler without giving my passport number down the phone to the water company! (Well, Yingzhou did that, since the water company didn’t even have any English speaking staff, despite supplying the international student accommodation with water!). The bureaucracy level reached its craziest heights at the visa centre, but more on that later.
Settling in to my room I have to say was a very pleasant surprise. Having heard about Chinese university dorms and seen the pictures from Chinese friends and also Monika on her exchange, I had pretty much expected the bog standard desk/bunk bed combo shared with a room-mate. Before I arrived, I was informed though that actually I would be getting a single room, and I thought this may be because I was staying in the international student’s building. However, I was genuinely surprised to get a spacious room with a nice big bed:
The massive bed all to myself, next to my desk
              Not only that, but it has been equipped with a TV, mini fridge, microwave, lamp, working AC system, water cooler (on account of the Chinese tap water having dubious quality standards) and telephone!
My water-cooler, microwave, fridge and TV
 
(Although I'm not sure what is the point of having a TV, since all the channels are in Chinese anyway).  Despite not having my own sink, we have a shared bathroom on each floor. This might not sound much like luxury, but the home students in the other dorms don’t even have bathroom facilities in their building, and they have to go to an outside building for showers, and even this is only open between the hours of 3 pm till 10 pm, so if you've missed the time, you've missed your shower for the day! I have heard that one fifth of Shanghai’s population still does not have indoor plumbing and they use bed pans at night, so I think I've gotten very lucky here! I am most surprised to find that I don’t have to share, since I've seen that some of the other rooms on my floor have two international students in. But I guess I just have to be thankful for the special treatment. Although there is a funny smell in here that my lab friend seems to think might be a fungus that would be very difficult to remove.....ah well, swings and roundabouts!           

1 comment: